Stuffed bhindi recipe or Ocra recipe also known as bharwa bhindi is a very popular Indian Vegetable recipe. This recipe in Hindi is very easy and can be made easily at home.
12-15 lady fingers/ okra/ Bhindi
11/2 tsp oil
11/2 Tablespoon gram flour
1 medium size finely chopped onion/grated onion
11/2 tsp coriander powder
¾ tsp red chilly powder
¼ tsp Turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1 tsp Mustard oil
1 tsp oil
1. Wash bhindi thoroughly in water and keep it for half an hour or if you do not have much time then wipe
them with towel or paper napkin to make it dry.
2. For Stuffing3.
Heat oil in a pan, once the oil becomes little hot add finely chopped onion and sauté it on medium flame till
it becomes translucent and light brown.
4. Add all the spices red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt to taste and sauté it for a
5. Lastly add gram flour and roast it for 2 minutes till nice aroma starts to come.
6. Stuffing is litte dry so add mustard oil and mix it well for a minute.
7. Turn off the flame. Stuffing is ready.
8. Cut the stem of each bhindi, slit the bhindi and be careful that you don’t cut the whole bhindi it should be
joined from the second end.
9. Take each bhindi and stuff it with the prepared masala and keep aside.
10. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a heavy bottom pan and temper cumin seeds into it.
11. When the seed starts tempering put each stuffed bhindi/ lady finger, left over masala and mixes well.
12. Stir and cover the lid and cooks it on low flame for 2-3 minutes. Do not cover for a longer time as bhindi
will become mushy.
13. After 2 minutes open the lid and turn around the bhindi very gently to avoid sticking and burning.
14. Sprinkle little water over the bhindi to make it soft and again cover the lid for 2-3 minutes.
15. Repeat the process of cover and cook till the bhindi becomes tender. Turn them between 2-3 times to prevent
from burning. It takes around 6-7 minutes to become soft.
16. Serve hot with roti, paratha or rice