Here’s a traditional favorite which can be made wheat free! Those with allergies do not have to merely watch while others around them gorge on Gulab Jamuns during festivals and parties. These Gulab Jamuns are equally delicious and can be enjoyed by one and all!
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Soak Time: 2 hours
Makes approx. 16-18 pieces
Instant Non-fat Dry Milk Powder – 1 cup
Cornstarch – 2 ½ Tbsps
Baking Soda – ¼ tsp
thick yogurt3 Tablespoons
Oil for deep frying
For the syrup:
Sugar – 1 cups
Water – 2 cups
Ground Cardamom Seed (Elaichi) – ¼ teaspoon
1. Mix together all dry ingredients (Milk Powder, Cornstarch and Baking Soda) in a medium bowl.
2. Add 1 ½ teaspoons Ghee, reserving ½ teaspoon for later use.
3. Mix 2 Tablespoons of Yogurt and make a medium soft dough, adding the remaining Yogurt in small quantities as required. You may not need the entire quantity, depending on the consistency of the yogurt.
4. Knead well, so that dough is very smooth. Smear a little Ghee on your hands as you knead, to prevent the dough from sticking to your hands.
5. Rub a few drops of ghee on your hands as you form about 18 small balls with the dough.
6. Ensure that the surface of each ball is smooth and does not have cracks on it.
7. Pour Oil into a medium wok (kadhai) and allow Oil to heat well.
8. Test readiness by dropping a small bit of dough into the oil.
9. When oil is ready, lower heat.
10. Fry jamuns on low heat, a few at a time, till the jamun balls are a rich golden brown color.
11. Remove from oil, holding the slotted spoon with the balls against the side of the wok, so that maximum oil will drain.
12. Place on a dish with paper towels.
13. Meanwhile, combine Sugar and Water and place on medium high heat.
14. Stir occasionally till the sugar is completely dissolved.
15. Allow the syrup mixture to come to a rolling boil and continue to let it boil for 5 minutes.
16. Remove from heat and add Elaichi powder.
17. Gently drop the fried jamun balls into the hot syrup, watch them partly absorb the syrup and fluff into larger, spongy balls.
18. Enjoy while warm, or zap your portion in the microwave—just great!