Restaurant style chilli beef recipe is a family favorite and easy to make at home too. Beef chilli or chilli beef can be made with very less/little oil and beef pieces need not be fried at all. Chilli beef is one of the most popular indo-chinese dish in Kerala.
What I like about this chilli beef recipe is the ease at which it can be made and beef pieces are not deep fried and that makes this a favorite.
Chilli chicken is another popular indo-chinese dish; and my chilli chicken recipe is also made with very little oil and the best part is the chicken pieces are not fried
- Beef : 400 gms
- Soy sauce: 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
- Kashmiri chilli powder: 1 tsp
- Tomato sauce: 2 tbsp
- Red chilli sauce: 1 tsp
- Crushed pepper: 3/4 tsp
- Onions: 2, cubed
- Capsicum: half, cubed
- Ginger: 1/2 inch, sliced
- Garlic: 6 cloves, sliced
- Beef stock: 1/4 cup
- Water: 1/4 cup
- Cornflour: 1 tsp
- Oil: 2 tbsp
- Salt and extra pepper as needed
- Chopped spring (green onions): 1 tbsp (to garnish)
- Cut the beef into thin strips. Add them into the pressure cooker and top with 1 tbsp soy sauce and salt.
- Pressure cook for 20 mins ie after the first whistle simmer the fire for 20 mins.
- Heat a kadai or pan with 1 tbsp oil and add in sliced garlic, ginger, green chilies, and onions. Stir fry for two mins and remove to a plate.
- Add in the cubed capsicum and stir fry for a min or two. Add in a fat pinch of salt and pepper and then mix (toss) and remove them to another plate.
- Add in 1 tbsp oil and then add in the cooked beef. Keep aside the beef stock which we need to make the gravy.
- Once the beef is heated up, stir fry for a minute and then spread the beef to the sides so that the oil will come in the middle. Into the oil in the middle, add in 1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder, mix it well and allow the chilli to get roasted lightly so that the raw flavor diminishes. Remember to put the flame on low.
- Add in 2 tbsp tomato sauce, mix well. Add in 1 tsp soy sauce and red chilli sauce, mix well. Add in 3/4 tsp crushed pepper and mix well.
- Add in the stir fried onions and capsicum; sprinkle a fat pinch of salt and pepper and mix well.
- Mix cornflour with beef stock and water. Add into the curry, allow it to heat up and simmer for a minute. Garnish with chopped spring onions and switch off the flame.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve hot.
- If you like more gravy you can add little more water; adjust to your taste.
- For more tips and notes, pls watch my video
- Since beef has some water content, I did not add extra water; but if you feel you need to add water, you can add 1/4 cup while pressure cooking.